Coordinator intern UN resident Coordinator's office Malawi
The Resident Coordinator System encompasses all organizations of the United Nations that have operational activities in the country. As the designated Representative of the UN Secretary-General and leader of the UN Country Team (UNCT), the UN Resident Coordinator (UNRC), leads the UN Country Team in Malawi, including all the UN entities present in Malawi, and represents the UN Secretary General to the Government of Malawi. The purpose of the Resident Coordinator system (RC system) is to bring together the different UN agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational activities at the country level, helping the UN to be a more relevant and reliable partner for governments.
The UN Resident Coordinators Office (RCO) supports the roles and functions of the UN Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team. The RCO provides inter-agency coordination support to the UN Country Team (UNCT) and its various inter-agency working mechanisms, including theme groups. Key functions of the RCO include strategic analysis, planning and positioning of the Country Team; preparation and monitoring of the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF); support to joint UN programming and operations management; policy guidance; joint advocacy and communications, in order to enhance UN coherence and improve overall program impact of the UN System in Malawi.
The RCO is looking for a motivated intern to join the team on a short-term basis and contribute to its crucial mandate of enhancing the coherence of the UN System in Malawi. The internship will provide the successful candidate with a unique opportunity to learn about how the UN system operates at the country level. Among others, the intern will: learn about the functions and roles of a wide range of UN agencies; gain insight into the country programming process of the UN; and become familiar with how the UN interacts with government counterparts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Resident Coordinator, the direct supervision of the Head of the RCO, and in close collaboration with RCO colleagues, the Coordination Intern will:
- Provide relevant support to UN coordination mechanisms and UNCT activities, including UNCT meetings and joint work through UN Theme and sub-groups.
- Provide secretariat and administrative support to the activities of the UNCT, particularly by assisting the organization of joint UN events, workshops, retreats and meetings.
- Participate in UNCT and other relevant meetings and draft minutes accordingly
- Support the compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, background information and documentation as well as drafting of talking points and speeches for meetings, events and missions.
- Undertake desk research on issues relevant to the Resident Coordinator system
- Organize documents (maintenance of files of the RCO/hardcopy and electronic filing of all supporting documentation).
- Draft routine correspondence, memoranda, letters, invitations and other documents.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for visiting missions related to the RC System.
- Assist the organization of meetings and documents related to the Interagency thematic groups, task forces and results groups.
- Support the organisation and follow-up of the inter-agency and high-level meetings or events attended by the RC or RCO staff members.
- Support any other tasks as required.
Experience and Skills:
- Master’s students and/or graduates in international development studies, international relations, social sciences, political science, law, economics, management, or other relevant fields/ Or
- Experience with other UN agencies, international organisations and/or non-governmental organisations would be considered an asset.
- Strong command of MS office package (including Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Good writing and communication skills: ability to draft clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Strong and confident command of both written and oral English is required.
Qualified female candidates as well as postgraduate and doctoral students are encouraged to apply.
Duration of the Assignment: 6 Months
Mr. Max Bonnel